When you look in the mirror, do you see yourself as old and tired? Perhaps the reason is that your forehead and brow area are showing the signs of aging. A brow lift will remove the wrinkles from your forehead and reduce the sagging appearance of your eyebrows. Double board-certified Atlanta plastic surgeon, Dr. Christopher Killingsworth, was named by the Best of Forsyth Reader’s Choice Awards as the top cosmetic surgeon for 2015, and the men and women of Forsyth County, Cumming and Atlanta depend on their expertise for forehead lifts and other cosmetic surgeries.
Surgery to Lift the Forehead or Brow
Some of the earliest signs of aging on your face appear on your forehead as your skin begins to lose volume and elasticity in the brow and temple area. Frown lines (vertical creases between your eyebrows), wrinkling across your forehead, and drooping eyebrows can start in your early 30s making you look tired, angry, sad, and even confused when that is not what you are feeling at all. At Atlanta Aesthetics, Dr. Killingsworth performs brow lift surgery, also known as a forehead lift, to return your brow to a more youthful shape and position as well as dramatically minimizing the creases and wrinkles located across the forehead and between the eyebrows. Thanks to modern technology and medical advances, today’s brow lift procedures produce more natural-looking results than in the past when incisions were long involving too much pulling that resulted in a pulled or “cat
Benefits of a Brow Lift (Forehead Lift)
Dr. Killingsworth recommends brow lifts to men and women between 35 to 60 years old who have lines and creases in the forehead area and eyebrows that have dropped lower over the eyes. A forehead lift will:
- Soften lines and creases in the forehead area
- Lift the eyebrows
- Give you a younger, more alert appearance
Brow lift surgery is not recommended for correcting cosmetic concerns at the edge of or under the eyes.
Evaluation for a Brow Lift
There are many types of brow lift surgery techniques available today and the decision on which brow lift is right for you will be determined during your consultation with Dr. Killingsworth at Atlanta Aesthetics. Dr. Killingsworth will encourage you to openly discuss your aesthetic goals before they thoroughly examine your brow to determine if your expectations can be achieved. They will then recommend a brow lift procedure based on your facial anatomy and what will work best for you, as their priority is that you will be happy and satisfied with the final results. Most brow lift procedures are performed with local anesthesia and light sleep sedation, but general anesthesia may also be an option. After you are comfortably anesthetized, your brow lift will begin with Dr. Killingsworth making the incision and the length and placement will be dependent on the type of brow lift you are having.
The Brow Lift Procedure
Generally, during your brow lift, Dr. Killingsworth will gently elevate the skin and muscles of your forehead, remove loose skin and excess fat in the brow line, and rearrange the muscles of your forehead (when necessary) before lifting your brow skin to its new position. Upon completion of your brow lift surgery, Dr. Killingsworth will close the incision with sutures or staples and apply a dressing to your face and head to protect the incisions and encourage proper healing.
Brow Lift Surgery Options
Some options for brow lift surgery include:
- Direct Brow Lift: This procedure is performed through an incision made along the upper edge of the eyebrow or sometimes in a wrinkle very close to the brow.
- Mid Forehead Lift: A mid forehead lift is performed through an incision in a deep forehead crease in the middle of the forehead.
- Endoscopic Brow Lift: With this procedure, Dr. Killingsworth performs the surgery through small incisions hidden behind the hairline using a special sterile telescope called an endoscope. In this technique, Dr. Killingsworth can carefully identify and release the muscles, which pull your brow down, and one advantage of the endoscopic approach is the small incisions and less post-operative numbness.
- Open Forehead Lift: This procedure involves an incision hidden behind the hairline that extends from ear to ear (coronal incision), an incision hidden at the front of the hairline (pre-trichal incision), or a wavy, zigzag incision hidden in the fine hair of the hairline (trichophytic incision). This technique is effective for people who need more elevation of the brow and in some cases, the incision technique may be modified combining one or more incisions.
Some brow lift surgeries involve moving, rearranging, or weakening the muscles in your forehead and brow area and there are three main muscles in this part of your face that are involved including:
- The Corrugator Muscle: This muscle pulls the innermost area of your eyebrows to the center of your forehead and downward, causing vertical wrinkles to form in the glabella area (the space between your eyebrows) and horizontal wrinkles to form on the bridge of your nose.
- The Frontalis Muscle: This muscle runs from your hairline straight down to your eyebrows and is responsible for elevating your eyebrows and the skin of your forehead, forming horizontal wrinkles across your forehead. The inner (medial) and outer (lateral) parts of the frontalis muscle can function independently, and that is why some people can raise one eyebrow and not the other.
- The Procerus Muscle: This muscle runs from your nasal bone and cartilage at the side of your nose before fanning upwards to the center of your forehead. The procerus muscle pulls the skin at the center of your forehead down, causing transverse wrinkles to form in the glabella region and bridge of your nose.
Because a brow lift is a very subtle procedure, it can make you look years younger without dramatically changing your overall appearance, and adult men and women of all ages can benefit from this surgery. The results typically last for 5 to 10 years, and any scarring is usually covered by the hairline and heals over time leaving you with natural-looking results. Besides undergoing brow lift surgery for cosmetic reasons, many patients choose the procedure to improve their vision because excess skin above the eyes can impair vision. Although a brow lift can be performed as an isolated surgery, it is commonly combined with blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) as together these procedures provide a more rejuvenated look to the entire upper face and forehead for more rewarding results. By reducing and tightening loose skin above the eyes, brow lift surgery creates a more alert, open look to your eyes and brow helping you to look years younger so if you feel this procedure may be right for you, please call Atlanta Aesthetics today. Dr. Killingsworth are looking forward to helping you understand all of your facial plastic surgery options, and we thank you for trusting Atlanta Aesthetics to help achieve all of your cosmetic surgery goals.
Atlanta Brow Lift (Forehead Lift) Cost and Financing Options
The extent of correction that is needed via a brow lift varies by patient, so the cost is very individualized. The cost of your forehead lift is determined after your consultation. Payment is due at the time of the surgery, and Atlanta Aesthetics accepts cash, personal checks, credit cards and CareCredit® financing
Do you see a tired, aged person in the mirror? Contact Atlanta Aesthetics to schedule a personal consultation with double board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Christopher Killingsworth to see if a brow lift is right for you.