Surgery to Reduce the BreastsOf all the surgeries that plastic surgeons perform, breast reduction ranks among the highest in patient satisfaction. Women with large, heavy breasts not only suffer physical pain from the weight of their breasts, but they also experience social discomfort due to the unwanted attention their breast size attracts. Breasts that are too large are a strain on a woman’s body causing back, neck, and shoulder pain and the extra weight can be harmful to posture (leading to spinal problems) as well as breathing complications and other serious health issues. Breast reduction surgery can greatly benefit a woman’s life by not only giving her relief from her unbearable symptoms: breast reduction will also allow a woman to exercise more and wear fashionable clothing without the psychological embarrassment. In essence, breast reduction surgery will help a woman regain her self-confidence and positive self-image, as well as provide the motivation to participate in a wide range of physical and social activities.
Atlanta Breast Reduction Cost and Financing OptionsBreast reduction surgery costs are based on several factors, and we provide a complete cost of the procedure after your initial meeting with Dr. Killingsworth. The cost is based on your individual cosmetic goals and the surgical plan. We accept payment by cash, personal checks and credit card. Financing is available through CareCredit® should you need convenient, affordable payments for your breast reduction surgery.
Benefits of Breast ReductionBreast reduction surgery helps women with overly-large breasts by:
- Improving body proportions
- Reducing shoulder and neck pain caused by bra straps
- Increasing the variety of properly-fitting clothing
Breast Reduction EvaluationThe first step when considering breast reduction surgery is to schedule your initial consultation with Dr. Killingsworth at Atlanta Aesthetics. During this meeting, Dr. Killingsworth will ask you what breast size you would ideally like to be, and then they will make a determination of how much breast tissue is required to eliminate to achieve that goal. They will explain the different options for breast reduction and discuss your medical history, current medical condition, and any medications you currently take that might affect the outcome of the surgery. It is important that you are open and honest with your answers, and Dr. Killingsworth will make sure that you are aware of every aspect of the breast reduction procedure. They will inform you about the risks and possible complications of breast reduction surgery and the long-term effects of undergoing the procedure: including what your life will be like after surgery. By being this thorough, Dr. Killingsworth will then be able to evaluate which procedure is right for you and propose a plan that will meet or exceed your expectations.
The Breast Reduction ProcedureThere are several techniques available for breast reduction surgery, and it typically takes two to four hours to perform on an outpatient basis (meaning you will go home the same day) under general anesthesia depending on your circumstances.
The size and shape of your breasts, as well as the desired amount of reduction, will determine which technique is right for you.
Breast Reduction Options
- Traditional Breast Reduction Surgery: The traditional approach to breast reduction surgery is a very effective method for alleviating discomfort caused by large, heavy breasts, and it involves an Anchor or Wise pattern reduction. In the traditional breast reduction surgery, Dr. Killingsworth will make the incision horizontally under the breast in the crease before extending vertically up to and around the nipple creating an anchor pattern. They will then remove skin, fat, and tissue from the lower breast area to reduce the mass of the breast and, in most cases, the nipples are moved to a higher position although they remain attached to the nerves and blood vessels. For extremely large breasts, however, the nipples may need to be moved and grafted to a completely new location and in this situation; the patient will lose sensation in the nipple and areola. After the nipple is moved to its new position, the skin above the nipple is brought down and around the swell of the breast and stitched back to close the original incision. Because traditional breast reduction surgery allows for excess skin removal both vertically and horizontally, it is typically the best method for women with extremely large breasts because the anchor shaped incision allows Dr. Killingsworth to remove more tissue than other methods. Although the Anchor pattern method can be useful in reducing excessively large breasts, it also entails more scarring than other techniques however these scars usually fade, and they can often be hidden with clothing.
- Vertical Incision Breast Reduction Surgery: The vertical incision technique, also known as the short scar or LeJour breast reduction, typically results in shapelier breasts and less scarring than traditional breast reduction surgery. Vertical incision breast reduction is a popular alternative to the traditional method and in a vertical incision breast reduction; a lollipop-shaped incision is made around the areola and down the breast. After the breast tissue and skin is removed, Dr. Killingsworth will stitch up the incision by folding the excess skin over itself on the breast. The nipple can still be moved up in a method similar to that of the traditional procedure but no more than a few millimeters. Vertical incision breast reduction eliminates the need for the horizontal incision along the breast crease that is used in traditional breast reduction surgery, resulting in much less scarring and women with moderately large breasts are the ideal candidates for vertical incision breast reduction. Vertical incision breast reduction surgery may not be a good choice for women requiring the removal of excessive amounts of fat and breast tissue.
- Scarless Breast Reduction Surgery: Scarless breast reduction employs liposuction techniques in order to reduce the size of the breasts with minimal or no visible scarring. In a scarless breast reduction, only one very small incision will be made in the breast crease and a thin surgical tube (cannula) is inserted to liposuction out the excess fatty breast tissue. This technique is considered a scarless breast reduction procedure because the scars are minimal and usually invisible due to their inconspicuous location under the breast. The scarless breast reduction technique also leaves the nipples intact so that the patient has a reduced risk of breastfeeding complications and losing sensation in the nipple area. Because liposuction can only reduce the amount of fatty tissue in the breast, ideal candidates for scarless breast reduction are women whose breasts have more fatty tissue than glandular tissue. Men with gynecomastia (excess breast tissue) can also achieve desired results with male breast reduction through liposuction and breast reduction using only liposuction is typically not the best option for more slender women with large breasts, women with extensive sagging, or women with excessively large breasts.
Patients who undergo breast reduction surgery are frequently seeking relief from physical symptoms caused by the excessive weight of large breasts. This procedure can solve these problems as well as improve the size and shape of your breasts. Dr. Killingsworth are is committed to helping everyone feel better about their appearance, and he is proud to improve the quality of life for large-breasted women enabling them to finally feel good about the way they look while alleviating associated health concerns. Unless you gain or lose a significant amount of weight or become pregnant, your breast size should remain fairly permanent although gravity and the effects of aging will eventually alter the size and shape of virtually every woman’s breasts. Many women who become dissatisfied with the appearance of their breasts after a period of years often choose to undergo a breast lift procedure to restore a more youthful contour.
Breast reduction often makes a dramatic change in your appearance and, for this reason, it may take some time to adjust to your new body image. Most women are comfortable and even ecstatic however with their smaller breasts, and they feel very pleased with the results of breast reduction surgery. That is why the level of patient satisfaction resulting from breast reduction is among the highest of any plastic surgery procedure and at Atlanta Aesthetics, our patients can attest to that. If you are tired of your heavy, overly-large breasts, please contact Atlanta Aesthetics today and let us schedule your confidential consultation with Dr. Killingsworth.
As a leading plastic surgeon serving women in the Atlanta area, Dr. Killingsworth enjoys seeing the difference in his patients after breast reduction surgery. Now you can have the experience for yourself! Just contact Atlanta Aesthetics to schedule a personal consultation at our location in Atlanta.