MUST BOOK PROCEDURE BEFORE 4/1/2019
Surgery to Enlarge the BreastsBreast augmentation is the most desired plastic surgery procedure performed annually in the United States. Breast augmentation is a popular choice because it improves breast shape, size, and enhancement to give a woman a more proportional figure along with the attractive curves she has always desired. Every woman wants to feel good about her body, and since most of us are not born with a voluptuous figure, breast augmentation can help you achieve the shapely breasts that reflect your personal beauty and style. Although approximately 80% of women who request enlargements do so for cosmetic reasons, the remaining 20% account for medical reasons, such as the need for a reconstructed breast after suffering from breast cancer or for accident victims who have experienced traumatic injuries to their breasts.
Benefits of Breast AugmentationWomen choose to have breast augmentation surgery for many reasons that include breasts that are:
- Too small
- Different in size
- Deflated after pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Smaller after childbirth
- Not full enough
- Restoring breast volume after significant weight loss
- Correcting changes to shape or size from the natural aging process
- Reconstruction and augmentation after injury or illness
Evaluation for Breast AugmentationThe first step when considering breast augmentation is to contact Atlanta Aesthetics so that we can schedule your consultation with Dr. Killingsworth. During your initial visit, they will thoroughly assess your physical and emotional health and discuss your specific cosmetic goals for breast augmentation. Dr. Killingsworth will evaluate the size and shape of your breasts, the quality of your skin, and the placement of your nipples and areolas to determine the best treatment plan for you and, in some cases, they may recommend additional cosmetic procedures to improve your overall results. If it is determined that you are a good candidate for breast augmentation, they will explain all of the options along with the details of the surgery and any possible complications and risks involved. Dr. Killingsworth realize that every woman is unique in both her desires and anatomy and that is why he will take the time necessary to understand your expectations and customize a treatment plan designed exclusively for you.
Selecting an Implant Size, Shape and FillMost women have an idea of what they want their new breasts to look like, and in order to achieve that look, the proper size and shape of the implant must be selected. The two current implants available today are either saline or silicone. Both implant types are approved as safe to use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) (with each offering its own advantages) and during your consultation, Dr. Killingsworth will help you decide which type is right for you. Saline-filled implants are made of a silicone outer shell, and they are filled with a saltwater solution that is easily absorbed by the body in case of implant rupture. Saline breast implants are filled after implant placement, so they require a smaller incision and the saline-filled implant is slightly firmer, so it does have a greater chance of rippling. A silicone implant is composed of a silicone outer shell filled with a thick, silicone gel. This type of implant is known for its natural appearance and feel, and there is less chance of visible rippling although they do require a larger incision.
The Breast Augmentation ProcedureBreast augmentation is typically performed using general anesthesia (although, in some cases, other options are available), and it takes one to two hours depending on the extent of the surgery. One of the most important aspects of breast augmentation is the forming of the implant pockets where Dr. Killingsworth will create space for the implants to be inserted. These pockets are the “foundation” for your new breasts and achieving proper structure requires a small release of the chest muscle (pectoralis major), which creates a more beautiful breast shape. Dr. Killingsworth will make the incisions for your breast augmentation in inconspicuous places to minimize scar visibility and, in most cases, eventually all types of scarring will heal becoming hardly noticeable. The choices of incision location include:
- Transaxillary Incision located in the armpit
- Inframammary Incision located in the crease on the underside of the breast
- Periareolar Incision located around the areola (the dark skin around the nipple)