Surgery After Significant Weight LoseFighting the battle of obesity and excessive weight is a long process that takes you to a healthier you. Once you achieve your goal weight, you want to feel proud of the way you look. Unfortunately, your expectations are not met because your skin is not able to return to a state where it conforms to your contours. Instead, it just hangs loosely from your abdomen, arms, legs, buttocks and other areas.
Body lift surgery at Atlanta Aesthetics is a combination of procedures that removes the extra skin and fat you have after losing massive amounts of weight. The procedure is performed not only for cosmetic reasons but also for clinical reasons. Folds of loose skin are the perfect places for bacteria and infections to thrive because these areas are both damp from perspiration and difficult to keep clean. The areas that can be improved with body lift surgery are:
- Abdomen and groin
- Lower back
Atlanta Body Lift Cost and Financing OptionsAfter your consultation with Dr. Killingsworth, we provide you with a complete cost of your body lift surgery. This type of surgery is not covered by medical insurance. We accept payment by cash, personal check, credit card and CareCredit® financing.
Benefits of Body Lift SurgerySelected as the 2015 Best Cosmetic Surgeon for Best of Forsyth Reader’s Choice Awards, Dr. Christopher Killingsworth has built a solid reputation amongst the men and women in and around Atlanta. Body lift surgery is one of their most personally and professionally satisfying procedures because they are able to use their skills, expertise and compassion to truly transform lives. Body lift surgery at Atlanta Aesthetics helps you:
- Achieve an attractive physical appearance after massive weight loss
- Reduce the chances of infection and other conditions that are caused by skin folds
- Feel more confident and successful in your journey to become healthier and happier
Body Lift EvaluationBody lift surgery is not for everyone. The surgery is primarily used for patients who have lost hundreds of pounds or more by following a proper routine of healthy eating and exercise. Patients who lose weight after bariatric surgery may also be good candidates. The techniques that are used for a body lift require extensive incisions, so Dr. Killingsworth speaks openly and candidly about the resulting scars and recovery process. Other considerations are:
- Amount of weight that you have lost, with 30% to 50% of your highest weight being the best time for body lift surgery
- Maintaining an ideal weight for two years
- Proven history of continuing with a healthy lifestyle once the target weight is reached
The Body Lift ProcedureGeneral anesthesia is required for a full or partial body lift. Dr. Killingsworth may perform lifts on the various parts of your body during one or multiple surgical appointments. To the extent possible, Dr. Killingsworth places the incisions in locations where scarring is the least obvious, such as low in the groin area, on the backside of the arm and other inconspicuous locations. After the incision is made, Dr. Killingsworth removes small deposits of fat, pulls the skin tight and trims the excess skin.
- Full body lift surgery is the most extensive type of body lift and is only recommended for men and women who have excess skin in the lower, mid and upper areas of the body. Dr. Killingsworth prefers to schedule multiple surgical appointments for full body lifts. The first surgery focuses on the midsection of the body, and the second surgery will be for an upper body lift.
- Upper body lift surgery includes the breasts and arms. Dr. Killingsworth performs a breast lift or breast augmentation as well as an arm lift. They may also recommend that a tummy tuck be performed as part of your partial body lift.
- Mid-body lift includes the hips, buttocks, thighs and abdomen. The incisions are placed along the inner thigh and waistline. During the procedure, Dr. Killingsworth removes the extra skin and fat, and they tighten the underlying muscles with sutures. Because the abdomen is involved in this procedure, the recovery time is long than with a lower body lift alone.
- Lower body lift, the most common type of body lift surgery, addresses problems in the buttock, thigh and hip area. The goal of the surgery is to remove excess skin and add shape to the buttocks. Dr. Killingsworth make the incisions around your waist and down along the inner thighs.
You will also need someone to stay at home with you for at least one to two weeks. You will need to stay home and rest for two to four weeks and avoid exercising for up to three months. Full recovery can take many months, so we encourage you to be patient and allow your body to heal properly.
Body lift surgery at Atlanta Aesthetics removes the skin that drapes off the body after losing a significant amount of weight. Contact us today to schedule a private consultation with double board-certified Atlanta plastic surgeon, Dr. Christopher Killingsworth, or Atlanta plastic surgeon, Dr. Cristen Catignni, at our Johns Creek or Atlanta location.